Tuesday, 28 January 2014

when your practice suffers

One of the things that changes when you first start teaching is your own practice. Over the last 8 years of my teaching career, my relationship with my practice has been up and down. As soon as I made the decision to teach yoga, my practice changed. I no longer practiced for myself. I would go to class and pay attention to every word the teacher is saying. If i heard something i like, i would make note of it; the way some words are said, the way some instructions are made... I no longer moved with my breath but with my head. I was eager to feel and understand every single pose, so in class, I would be making notes; "ah, this feels like this here. If i do this, this will move. What is this muscle. How will i feel if i am tighter here, etc" Everything becomes a little bit clinical or geeky as we call it. I started to hang out with teacher friends and all we talked about is yoga! In those days, a few of us met up at least once a week and adjusted each other, discussed bodies, supported each other's insecurities. I mean.... it was really awesome! 

But of course, when the practice suffers, something goes. I became a better teacher, my asana practice improved of course as I was constantly trying new ways and new things. But, my yoga practice really suffered. I found it difficult to shut out and would be constantly in work mode. I could not go to a class without analysing it. I woke up thinking about class and went to bed analysing the day. And to add to it all, i was keen to build up my experience and clientele so i taught a lot! I think I was doing something like 20 or more classes a week. I wouldn't even go on holiday because I didn't feel like i could leave the class! 

There is a term in the yoga world: 'yoga teacher burnout' 

So I got to a point when I began to loose interest in practice. It just felt like too much yoga! I started to think that maybe this was not for me. It was just draining my energy. I hadn't realised how much energy and commitment it takes to do this job. You really have to love and live it, to teach it on days when only a few people have shown up, on days you know you are making a loss, on days when someone comes and tells you something that touches your heart or that makes you sad, on days when someone argues with you over the £7 fee. I wasn't sure if this was me. I came from the corporate world where i had no problem starting an argument with someone, to a job where I am expected to be all compassionate, patient and understanding. Where i had to be enthusiastic even when I was having a crap day. I just thought... screw this! But i didn't.

I am not sure why I didn't. I believe there was already a deep rooted commitment to the practice. I was also lucky to have spent some time with Claire Missingham, who had shared her experience and taught me about the importance of recharging- massages, holidays, time with family and friends, away from yoga. I also respected her for speaking out about spoiling ourselves with whatever it is that we like; whether it's nice clothes, toiletries, jewellery.... At a time when Lululemon had not exploded into what it is today, when yogi's felt like it was wrong to be materialistic, it was refreshing to hear someone say the opposite. I still remember her saying something like "if you feel good on the inside, you naturally want to express it outwardly" I have not looked back since. Lots of teachers say this now.

So here's my summary:

Take lots of time for yourself - massage is perfect

When you are with your loved ones, leave your phone- you will want to check your messages otherwise, believe me!

I take off on a retreat every year and invite no one, not even my closest yogi friends. It's also a great way to meet new people when you go away on your own. 

Don't say yes to every teaching opportunity. Only take something that suits you, something that feels good to you and for you.

Continue to go to class. Not just workshops and training! Before you go, remind yourself, "this is my time" and disconnect from the teacher person and try to enjoy your class. It is also inspiring to be in another teacher's class.

Don't beat yourself up if you could not get it together before class and felt like you didn't do a good class- normally, these are the classes where you did best. It probably doesn't feel good because you had to concentrate so hard, so you could not possibly be receptive to the energy of the class.

When you don't feel like practicing, try to force yourself onto your mat. These are probably the days when you can practice best without thinking about class! But also know that it is ok not to. 

Be authentic and true to yourself. Never make excuses to yourself or your clients if it really didn't go well. Apologise and do better next time. 

Take up another activity! This really really helps! Something other than yoga that excites you

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment